NBA's Dragic retiring from Slovenia team after Euro win
- OKC routs Knicks in Melo, George debuts
- Nets' Lin expected to be out for season
- Agent: Hayward's season likely over
- Warriors' Green has no structural damage
- Valanciunas, Miles lead Raptors by Bulls
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia (AP) NBA guard Goran Dragic has confirmed he is retiring from the Slovenia team that won the European basketball championship.
Dragic says on Tuesday, "I achieved what I wanted, the gold medal, and this is the right time to bid farewell."
The 31-year-old Dragic led Slovenia with 35 points to beat Serbia 93-85 in the final on Sunday in Istanbul, earning the MVP award.
He says Slovenia's qualifying campaign for the 2019 world championship will start in November, and it would be impossible for him to play due to his professional duties with the Miami Heat in the NBA.
Tens of thousands of jubilant Slovenes greeted the new European champions on Monday in the capital of Ljubljana.
Updated September 19, 2017