NBA's Dragic retiring from Slovenia team after Euro win
- Spurs look to halt Houston's run at 11
- 'Melo returns to face surprising Knicks
- McCutchen named officials supervisor
- James ties Bird with 59th triple-double
- Porzingis hurts knee, Knicks top Nets
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia (AP) NBA guard Goran Dragic has confirmed he is retiring from the Slovenia team that won the European basketball championship.
Dragic says on Tuesday, "I achieved what I wanted, the gold medal, and this is the right time to bid farewell."
The 31-year-old Dragic led Slovenia with 35 points to beat Serbia 93-85 in the final on Sunday in Istanbul, earning the MVP award.
He says Slovenia's qualifying campaign for the 2019 world championship will start in November, and it would be impossible for him to play due to his professional duties with the Miami Heat in the NBA.
Tens of thousands of jubilant Slovenes greeted the new European champions on Monday in the capital of Ljubljana.
Updated September 19, 2017