Dirks to DL for Tigers, OF Matt Young called up
- Cano has 2 HRs, 4 RBIs as Yanks top Jays
- Cards' Garcia to DL with shoulder strain
- Braves' O'Flaherty may be out for season
- Arroyo, Votto lead Reds by Phillies 10-0
- Cubs win, RHP Garza returning Tuesday
DETROIT (AP) The Detroit Tigers have put outfielder Andy Dirks on the 15-day disabled list and purchased the contract of outfielder Matt Young from Triple-A Toledo.
Dirks has been bothered by tendinitis in his right Achilles tendon. With catchers Alex Avila and Gerald Laird also ailing but not on the DL, the Tigers were down to one available position player on the bench.
Dirks has hit .328 in 37 games this year, giving a boost to an inconsistent Detroit offense.
The Tigers signed the 29-year-old Young to a minor league deal in the offseason. He hit .208 in 20 games for the Atlanta Braves last year.
Updated June 3, 2012