Victory leapfrog Adelaide into 4th place in A-League
European Football Headlines
- Coaches of Spain, Iran big fans of each other at World Cup
- Neymar leaves Brazil training session limping
- Burden falls on Coutinho to keep Brazil going at World Cup
- Colombia remains 'united,' backs Sanchez after red card
- Senegal beats Poland 2-1, 1st African win at World Cup
- The Latest: Tunisia keeper Hassen ruled out of World Cup
- Suarez eyes return to form in 100th appearance for Uruguay
- Colombia midfielder gets second-fastest World Cup red card
- Early penalty helps Japan beat Colombia 2-1 at World Cup
- World Cup: No Russian? No Problem. There's an app for that
SYDNEY (AP) Melbourne Victory beat 10-man Adelaide United 3-0 to leapfrog Adelaide into fourth place in the A-League.
Adelaide's newest signing, Dzengis Cavusevic of Slovenia, lasted nine minutes after being introduced as a halftime sub before being sent off by referee Alex King for slapping Melbourne's Rhys Williams.
Cavusevic fouled Williams and reacted with a gentle slap when he was pushed by the Melbourne defender. King immediately responded with a red card which sealed the fate of Adelaide, which was already trailing 2-0.
Second-placed Newcastle closed within eight points of leader Sydney FC by beating Brisbane 1-0.
Sydney has the chance to restore an 11-point lead in its derby clash with Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday.
Melbourne City dropped eight points behind Newcastle in third place after a losing to Perth 2-1.
Updated February 24, 2018