Victory leapfrog Adelaide into 4th place in A-League
European Football Headlines
- Mexico has to solve 2 major questions before the World Cup
- Juventus to play in MLS All-Star Game in Atlanta on Aug. 1
- Weah debut with PSG and possibly US follows dad's election
- Defending Cyprus champion APOEL lets coach go after 8 months
- Houseman, World Cup-winning Argentina striker, dies at 64
- AP sources: Ibrahimovic to leave Man United, join LA Galaxy
- UEFA orders Paris Saint-Germain to close part of its stadium
- Switzerland has key players primed to peak at World Cup
- AP Interview: Lloris says Tottenham's style deserves trophy
- Injuries leave host Russia limping ahead of World Cup
SYDNEY (AP) Melbourne Victory beat 10-man Adelaide United 3-0 to leapfrog Adelaide into fourth place in the A-League.
Adelaide's newest signing, Dzengis Cavusevic of Slovenia, lasted nine minutes after being introduced as a halftime sub before being sent off by referee Alex King for slapping Melbourne's Rhys Williams.
Cavusevic fouled Williams and reacted with a gentle slap when he was pushed by the Melbourne defender. King immediately responded with a red card which sealed the fate of Adelaide, which was already trailing 2-0.
Second-placed Newcastle closed within eight points of leader Sydney FC by beating Brisbane 1-0.
Sydney has the chance to restore an 11-point lead in its derby clash with Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday.
Melbourne City dropped eight points behind Newcastle in third place after a losing to Perth 2-1.
Updated February 24, 2018