|English Premier League|
|Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|||||Home|
Wigan Athletic 3, Wolverhampton 2
- Pearce to lose Under-21 role
- Newcastle confirm Kinnear's return
- Ferguson's 1st team sheet up for auction
- Bale wants trademark goal celebration
- Hull sign Honduras defender Figueroa
- Man Utd confirm pre-season tour
- Man City confirm Pellegrini appointment
- Arsenal appoint Keswick as new chairman
- Wigan to appoint Coyle as manager
- Chelsea agree fee for Schuerrle
(AP) -- LONDON (SE) - Wolverhampton waved goodbye to the top division following a 3-2 defeat against a spirited Wigan side.
The visitors took the lead through Matt Jarvis' superb curled effort, but Wigan hit back through Franco Di Santo's mis-hit effort.
Emmerson Boyce put the home side into the lead with a thumping header and the first half settled down after that.
The second half started in the same way as the first, with Wigan having most of the play but not doing much with it. However, Boyce put the Latics further into the lead with a rasping volley following a Hugo Rodallega knock-down, and could have had a personal third but chose to cross instead of shoot.
Wigan continued to press, with Albert Crusat looking impressive, but Wolves pulled one back after a Piscu mistake, allowing Steven Fletcher to score.
However, that was the way the game ended, and Wigan will be delighted to prepare for yet another Premier League season. Wolves, however, will need to regroup for life in the Championship.
Updated May 14, 2012