Stoke draws 0-0 with Aston Villa in Premier League
- Leicester fires manager Pearson
- Women's soccer fever grips England
- Swansea striker Demetriou fined
- Cech joins Arsenal from Chelsea
- Paulinho joins Guangzhou from Tottenham
- West Ham completes Payet signing
- English football set for another inquest
- Everton signs Deulofeu from Barcelona
- Brazil striker Firmino joins Liverpool
- West Ham face Lusitans in Europa League
STOKE, England (AP) Aston Villa and Stoke were both denied by the woodwork Monday as the midlands rivals settled for a 0-0 draw in the Premier League.
Marc Wilson came closest to grabbing a winner for Stoke when his header from a corner in the 69th minute struck the underside of the crossbar before being bundled away on the goalline by Gabriel Agbonlahor. Stoke thought they had scored, but television replays suggested the referee was correct in judging that the entire ball had not crossed the line.
In a first half without many scoring chances, Emile Heskey nearly put Villa ahead in the 21st when his header from a corner struck the left-hand post with goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen well beaten.
Heskey was later substituted with a recurrence of his Achilles problem.
Updated December 26, 2011